The Castro Human Rights Walk: LGBT+ History with a Local Guide
- Immerse yourself in the history of one of the key neighborhoods in the LGBT+ rights movement in the United States
- Learn about the effects of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the Castro
- See Landmarks including Twin Peaks Tavern, Harvey Milk Plaza, Castro Theater, Human Rights Campaign
This tour meets near Twin Peaks Tavern, the first gay bar in the city to install floor to ceiling windows as a way to show its patrons were not ashamed of their identities. From that landmark moment, your guide will take you through the highs and lows of the struggle for civil rights and equality that the residents of the Castro have waged over some 40 years. As you step on rainbow-colored crosswalks and cross the route of the Pride Parade, you'll stop at sights associated with Harvey Milk and the fight for marriage equality. Your guide will also break long-running taboos by discussing the HIV/AIDS epidemic and showing you the ways in which the community banded together to fight it.
- Guided walking tour
- Expert local guide
- Hotel Pick-Up/Drop-Off
- Infants up to 3 years are free of charge
3979b 17th St, San Francisco, CA 94114, USA
3979B 17th Street (Local Take). Meet just outside the shop Local Take.
- While we try to avoid extreme inclines and declines, due to San Francisco's hills as well as crowded city streets and unpaved pathways, guests with mobility limitations, wheelchairs, or strollers cannot be accommodated.
- 31 March 2019 - 31 October 2019: Daily (except Tuesdays)
- Meeting Time: 12:45 pm
- Departure Time: 1:00 pm
This Segway evening tour is the perfect option for those looking for a fun, alternate tour route of ...
Venture north of San Francisco over the Golden Gate Bridge to an isolated canyon filled with ancient...
A wonderful experience for first-time visitors to San Francisco! You'll discover the breathtaking vi...
Join this San Francisco North Beach Food Tour to explore the Italian restaurant scene and former Bar...
Discover San Francisco’s biggest landmarks and attractions in this awe-inspiring movie adventure tha...
This is the perfect tour for anyone who wants to go behind closed doors and take an intimate look at...