North Beach Food Tour
- Taste and experience a unique side of North Beach and the Barbary Coast on a North Beach Food Tour!
- Eat like a San Franciscan and gain local insights into the blocks you walk
- experience the culture, learn the history and see the landmarks that make North Beach, The Mission and Chinatown such notable locales
Come to see and taste the best that North Beach has to offer on a one-of-a-kind North Beach Food Tour! This 3-hour walking tour gets you off of the main drag and into the beautiful side streets of North Beach and the Barbary Coast, offering the opportunity to discover unexpected shops, sites and bites.
As you stroll from block to block, you'll stop for tastings at five of the following places: (subject to change)
- Molinari Delicatessen: Pope John Paul II was presented with a Molinari salami from 8-year-old Joey (est. 1896)
- Peña Pachamama: Historic site of a former speakeasy, serving up organic Bolivian fare
- Golden Boy Pizza: Peter Sodini's vision of the perfect pizza (est. 1978)
- Original U.S. Restaurant: A fixture of the North Beach Italian community featuring homemade Italian specialties (est. c. 1890)
- XOX Truffles: Chef Jean-Marc Gorce offers you the finest handmade truffles (est. 1997)
- A. Cavalli & Co.: At the forefront of Italian culture in America for over 130 years (est. 1880)
In between tastings, your guide will indicate interesting architecture, beautiful parks and notable landmarks, all while providing a glimpse into the neighborhood culture and how the locals have shaped the area's cuisine. The North Beach Food Tour is great for locals and tourists alike. Our guides take pride in showcasing great local artisans that remain hidden to most, as well as the unique history, culture and architecture that led the American Planning Association (APA) to rate North Beach as one of the ten "Great Neighborhoods in America!"
About Sidewalk Tours...
Sidewalk Food Tours of San Francisco boasts a food tour repertoire that includes tours of North Beach, The Mission and Chinatown. Not only do our guides know where to take you for the tastiest flavors, but they also have a wealth of knowledge about each neighborhood to share as you stroll. Our tours allow you to eat like a San Franciscan and gain local insights into the blocks you walk. While we want you to enjoy all of the tasty treats, we also want you to learn some things along the way. That's why you'll experience the culture, learn the history and see the landmarks that make North Beach, The Mission and Chinatown such notable locales. Our tastings are robust and unique; oftentimes, our guests say they've eaten enough to cover lunch by the time their tour has concluded. Whether you're a local or a visitor, or if you need a great gift idea for your favorite Bay Area foodie, check out a Sidewalk Food Tour of San Francisco! You'll find you've made your most delicious decision yet!
- All food tastings are included
- Feel free to bring a bottled beverage and some establishments will provide water
- Gratuity for your food tour guide. It's customary to tip your guide 15%-20% of the purchase price
The tour will meet in front of Caffe Trieste located at 601 Vallejo St, San Francisco (94133). The cross street is Grant Ave. The closest BART station is Embarcadero and is about a 20 minute walk away.
North Beach (San Francisco, CA)
- Tickets must be purchased in advance and cash is not accepted. Please make sure you purchase tickets well in advance of your desired tour date, as our tours sell out quickly. Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone using Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- A minimum of 4 participants is needed for this tour to run
- Tours are given rain or shine. A good portion of our time is spent walking outdoors. However, on our food tasting tours, we do spend time inside establishments, so you will not be subject to the elements of the entire tour.
- We do a fair amount of walking on our tours. You should dress casually and wear comfortable shoes or sneakers.
- You will taste foods from five different specialty shops, ethnic eateries, and restaurants. Depending on the tour you take, you may eat a piece of focaccia, a meatball and 2-3 pieces of Panelle, Italian style cured meats and cheeses, 2 truffles, delicious pasta and a piece of decadent cake. This is just some of the food on one tour. Most people say it's enough food for lunch. We suggest individuals with large appetites see how they feel after the tour, and consider ordering a dish from their favorite tasting.
- Please be sure to let us know if you (or anyone in your group) has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, allergy, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. All tastings are prepared in advance at each location, based on the information you provided to us at the time of ticket purchase. Please be sure to purchase your tickets in advance so that we have adequate time to prepare your tasting substitutions. Last minute dietary changes on the tour will not be accommodated. We apologize for the inconvenience. Our tastings are designed to bring you the best of what each renowned food establishment has to offer. In particular, at locations that specialize in traditional, family recipes, there isn’t always a “next best” option we can offer that will meet your specific dietary needs. If you HAVE SEVERE FOOD ALLERGIES please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We do not offer vegan or gluten-free substitutions. If you are vegan or gluten-free please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We have vegetarian options on our food tours. Be sure to let us know, well in advance, and we will make the appropriate substitutions.
- The majority of the food tastings are not guaranteed kosher. If you keep kosher please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We're on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a casual pace and stand in place for a few minutes at various attractions. The streets have a slight incline and you will have to walk up small stairs at some of the establishments. Please let us know in advance if you have difficulty walking up a few flights of stairs, and we will make arrangements for you.
- Our friendly and knowledgeable tour guides make learning about the history, culture, and foods of the neighborhoods we visit interesting, informative, and fun. Please gauge whether or not you think this tour is appropriate for your child. Children under the age of 5 are free, unless they're going to participate in all of the food tastings. You may bring a stroller on the tour, but it will have to remain outside if the food establishment is busy.
- The tour route is wheelchair accessible. You may bring a stroller on the tour, but it may have to remain outside if the food establishment is busy.
- Pets are not allowed on any of our food tasting tours. San Francisco law prohibits pets from entering an establishment that serves food or drink.
- On Sundays and Mondays, at 11.00am
Does the phrase “team building” inspire eye rolling and general skepticism from your workplace colle...
On this relaxed, two-hour cruise, you’ll enjoy spectacular sunset views, live guitar music and light...
Venture north of San Francisco over the Golden Gate Bridge to an isolated canyon filled with ancient...
How can a Muir Woods tour be better? Combine it with a Sonoma Wine Country tour! Experience this per...
Sidewalk Food Tours of San Francisco offers an irresistible food tour in the cultural hotspot of Chi...
Get a combo ticket to have an exciting 3D movie adventure as well as a 7D roller coaster gaming expe...