Mission District Food Tour
- For a fresh perspective on the Mission District, take a Mission District Food Tour!
- Experience the culture, learn the history and see the landmarks that make The Mission such notable locale
- A real foodie adventure: uncover the off-the-beaten-path food spots of San Francisco
The Mission District is one of San Francisco's most interesting and eclectic neighborhoods, combining a range of influences into one unique culture. The Mission District Food Tour not only lets you skip the lines and taste delectable delights at a number of notable establishments, but it also offers some insight into how the Mission has grown into such a beloved locale. This 3-hour walking tour includes 5 tastings at different establishments.
They are subject to change, but usually include 5 of the following places:
- Taqueria Cancun (est. 1985): The most perfectly marinated meat tacos in SF
- Mission Chinese (est. 2010) Founder Danny Bowien nominated for a James Beard Rising Chef Award
- Delfina Pizza (est. 2005) Delicious Neapolitan inspired, thin crust pizzas
- Tartine Bakery (est. 2002) The best French-style bakery in San Francisco, and you'll get to skip the lines!
- Ali Baba's Cave (est. 2003) The most delicious, moist falafel in SF
- Craftsman and Wolves (est. 2010) Where the paths of food and design intersect
As you stroll from tasting to tasting, your guide will point out and explain the culture, history and landmarks of the area. You'll see colorful Latino markets, Diego Rivera-inspired murals and much more! Whether you're a visitor in town for only a few days, or a local born and raised, you're sure to learn something on this informative tour.
About Sidewalk Tours...
Sidewalk Food Tours of San Francisco boasts a food tour repertoire that includes tours of North Beach, The Mission and Chinatown. Not only do our guides know where to take you for the tastiest flavors, but they also have a wealth of knowledge about each neighborhood to share as you stroll. Our tours allow you to eat like a San Franciscan and gain local insights into the blocks you walk. While we want you to enjoy all of the tasty treats, we also want you to learn some things along the way. That's why you'll experience the culture, learn the history and see the landmarks that make North Beach, The Mission and Chinatown such notable locales. Our tastings are robust and unique; oftentimes, our guests say they've eaten enough to cover lunch by the time their tour has concluded. Whether you're a local or a visitor, or if you need a great gift idea for your favorite Bay Area foodie, check out a Sidewalk Food Tour of San Francisco! You'll find you've made your most delicious decision yet!
- All food tastings are included
- Feel free to bring a bottled beverage and some establishments will provide water
- A tip for your guide. It's customary to tip between 15%-20% of the ticket purchase price
The tour will meet in front of The Pirate Store located at 826 Valencia Street, San Francisco (94110). It is located between 19th and 20th streets, 3 blocks west of Mission St. The closest BART stations are 16th St Mission or 24th St Mission.
Mission District (San Francisco, CA)
- Please note: The Pirate Store at 826 Valencia does not open until 12 PM. We will be meeting outside the space at 11 AM. Please do not try to enter the store when it is closed.
- Tickets must be purchased in advance and cash is not accepted. Please make sure you purchase tickets well in advance of your desired tour date, as our tours sell out quickly. Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone using Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- A minimum of 4 participants is needed for this tour to run
- Minimum number of purchasable tickets: 2
- Tours are given rain or shine. A good portion of our time is spent walking outdoors. However, on our food tasting tours, we do spend time inside establishments, so you will not be subject to the elements of the entire tour.
- We do a fair amount of walking on our tours. You should dress casually and wear comfortable shoes or sneakers.
- You will taste foods from five different specialty shops, ethnic eateries, and restaurants. Depending on the tour you take, you may eat a piece of focaccia, a meatball and 2-3 pieces of Panelle, Italian style cured meats and cheeses, 2 truffles, delicious pasta and a piece of decadent cake. This is just some of the food on one tour. Most people say it's enough food for lunch. We suggest individuals with large appetites see how they feel after the tour, and consider ordering a dish from their favorite tasting.
- Please be sure to let us know if you (or anyone in your group) has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, allergy, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. All tastings are prepared in advance at each location, based on the information you provided to us at the time of ticket purchase. Please be sure to purchase your tickets in advance so that we have adequate time to prepare your tasting substitutions. Last minute dietary changes on the tour will not be accommodated. We apologize for the inconvenience. Our tastings are designed to bring you the best of what each renowned food establishment has to offer. In particular, at locations that specialize in traditional, family recipes, there isn’t always a “next best” option we can offer that will meet your specific dietary needs. If you HAVE SEVERE FOOD ALLERGIES please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We do not offer vegan or gluten-free substitutions. If you are vegan or gluten-free please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We have vegetarian options on our food tours. Be sure to let us know, well in advance, and we will make the appropriate substitutions.
- The majority of the food tastings are not guaranteed kosher. If you keep kosher please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We're on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a casual pace and stand in place for a few minutes at various attractions. The streets have a slight incline and you will have to walk up small stairs at some of the establishments. Please let us know in advance if you have difficulty walking up a few flights of stairs, and we will make arrangements for you.
- Our friendly and knowledgeable tour guides make learning about the history, culture, and foods of the neighborhoods we visit interesting, informative, and fun. Please gauge whether or not you think this tour is appropriate for your child. Children under the age of 5 are free, unless they're going to participate in all of the food tastings. You may bring a stroller on the tour, but it will have to remain outside if the food establishment is busy.
- The tour route is wheelchair accessible. You may bring a stroller on the tour, but it may have to remain outside if the food establishment is busy.
- Pets are not allowed on any of our food tasting tours. San Francisco law prohibits pets from entering an establishment that serves food or drink.
- Every Friday and Sunday at 11.00am
Alcatraz Island remains one of San Francisco's greatest landmarks - and now you can experience its c...
Experience magnificent views of the San Francisco Bay on the way to Muir Woods National Monument. Yo...
Venture north of San Francisco over the Golden Gate Bridge to an isolated canyon filled with ancient...
How can a Muir Woods tour be better? Combine it with a Sonoma Wine Country tour! Experience this per...
This is the best way to get the most out of wine tasting and enjoy the splendor of the Sonoma Wine C...
Sidewalk Food Tours of San Francisco offers an irresistible food tour in the cultural hotspot of Chi...