Crypts and Catacombs of Rome Skip the Line Tour
- Take a step back in time as you explore the early Christian art, crypts and catacombs.
- Tour the Capuchin Crypts, the Basilica of San Clemente, and the San Domitilla or San Callisto Catacombs.
- See the bones of the monks that decorate the crypt today.
- Have your expert English-speaking guide tells you the history and legends that are involved with the places and relics.
- Skip the line access- Avoid the long lines and waiting time!
This tour is the first of its kind! An original Crypts & Catacombs tour that will take you to explore early Christian art in the Catacombs, built during a time when Christianity was illegal and considered a dangerous cult, whose members were executed as heretics and buried as martyrs. Your guide will lead you through the dark tunnels of Roman catacombs that are long corridors with hundreds of burial chambers, from modest singles to extravagant family tombs.
Continuing your mysterious journey, your group will also get to explore Basilica San Clemente (referred to by some as “the lasagna”). It is a 12th century Basilica built on top of the remains of a 4th century Basilica. The 4th century Basilica was built on top of a 2nd century cult chapel which happened to be built on a 1st century Roman street. You will feel as if you are going back in time with every different level of the Basilica you visit. Your expert English-speaking guide will be right along side you giving you in depth commentary, bringing each level to life.
Your tour ends with a visit the truly eerie Capuchin Crypt – a fascinating chapel hidden away in central Rome decorated with the bones of 4,000 Capuchin Monks. Intricantly decorated with the bones of 4,000 Capuchin monks. You will see real skulls and bones that make up the decoration such as the bone chandeliers in the crypt. Let your guide bring the macabre 'Bone Chapel' to life, this will be the biggest surprise of this tour that will stick with you long after you have gone home. The recent addition of an official museum means that your visit is enriched by an encounter with Caravaggio’s magnificent canvas ‘St. Francis in Meditation’ and relics from the life of St. Francis himself and some of his followers.
Unfortunately this tour is unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance.
- Tour as per description
- Expert, English-speaking tour guide
- Small groups of 20 people or less
- Entrance ticket to the Capuchin Crypt and Museum
- Entrance ticket to the catacombs
- Entrance ticket to the church and undergrounds of Basilica San Clemente
- All transfers in an air-conditioned coach bus
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Infants up to 2 years old travel for free and do not require a reservation / reduced price for 2-14 year olds, with proof of age. (Strollers or baby carriages are not allowed on this tour.)
Via di S. Nicola da Tolentino, 32-38, 00187 Roma RM, Italy
In the center of Piazza Barberini, by the large Triton (Tritone) fountain. Piazza Barberini is located at the metro stop Barberini on metro line A (red line).
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, hills, and stairs; comfortable shoes are recommended. Entrance into churches requires a strict dress code. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. Rome is one of the most visited cities in the world, making certain sites extremely busy in high season. Careful planning limits our exposure to crowds, but please be aware that some locations may be unavoidably busy during standard hours.
- Operating days: Monday-Saturday
- Meeting time: 02.15pm
- Departure time: 02.30pm
Watch the sunset across the romantic squares of Rome on a 3-hour guided tour of the city’s historic ...
Modern Rome, the capital of Italy, has been said to have one foot in the past and one in the present...
The best way to visit Rome and its sights is to join this 3.5-hour group guided walking tour. Visit ...
Admire the sunset over the rooftops of Rome and enjoy the romantic atmosphere of Rome on this 3-hour...
Discover the "Domus", which belonged to the most noble and powerful families of Ancient Rome. Thanks...
Begin the tour in the city center; get your bikes, meet your professional guide and start riding aro...