Guided tour in the dark side of Paris
- Discover the dark and violent history of the French capital
- Learn about Paris' long history of torture and execution
- From Henry VII's many wives to the French Revolution
- Sights: Place de la Vert Gallant, The Louvre, Ile de la Cité...
While Paris is currently known for its art, culture, fashion and sense of romance, but it had not always been this way. Paris was the center of the nation’s long and tragic history of revolutions, mass executions and rampant disease among lower classes. This Dark Heart of Paris Tour will take you on a journey through this darker side of French History, one rarely explored by visitors by the City of Love.
The tour takes place under a cloak of darkness, winding down alleyways and cutting through the hushed silence of the night. Your English-speaking guide will lead you to the places that were apart of Paris’ darkest hours - the Place de la Vert Gallant where the last of the Templar Knights was burned at the stake; St Germain de Auxerrois where some estimates say 30,000 were killed in the St. Bartholomew Day massacre in 1572 and the Palais du Justice, where those found guilty by the court were routinely tortured and executed in front of live audiences.
Your guide will be with you every step of the way, pointing out places of interest and filling you in on the full details of the gruesome history of Paris. No stone will go unturned as you explore the dark heart of the city. Starting out with ritual worship in early Paris you will travel through generations wracked by the plague, French Revolution, Paris Commune and Nazi rule. You will learn about the people that have molded the city, from Napoleon to Mari Antoinette, Henry IV and the serial killers that once wandered the streets in Paris.
- Place de la Vert Gallant – the site where the last of the Knights’ Templar were burnt at the stake.
- The Louvre - Outside view of one rear façade- is this really the most haunted place in Paris?
- St Germain de Auxerrois - The St Bartholomew's Day massacre.
- La Fontaine de la Croix du Trahoir - Living in Paris during the Middle Ages.
- Rue de la Ferronnerie - Assassination of Henry IV.
- Square of the Innocents - The origin of the Catacombs
- The Rat Trap Shop (As seen in Ratatouille) – The city’s vermin problem.
- Tour St. Jacques - The French Revolution and the reign of terror.
- La Fontaine du Palmier - Napoleon’s legacy.
- The Seine - Its influence on the city and its victims.
- The Conciergerie - Revolutionary Prison of Mari Antoinette.
- Ile de la Cité – Ritual worship in early Paris.
- Palais du Justice - Execution and the guillotine.
- Hotel Dieu - Ancient medicine and the plague.
- Hotel de ville - The old Place du Greve- site of execution and torture.
The Dark Heart of Paris tour offers a rare opportunity to get a glimpse of Paris that you definitely will not see advertised on postcards. This is a chance to learn a little more about the City of Love and its dark secrets.
Maximum group size: 20 persons.
- The tour.
- Group no larger than 20 people.
- Expert English-speaking guide.
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off.
Children 0 – 3 years old: free.
3403 Pont Neuf, 75001 Paris, France
Meet us 15 minutes before departure time of the tour at the statue of Henri IV, in the middle of Pont Neuf- at the western end of Ile de la cite. The statue is of a man on a horse sitting in the middle of the bridge.Nearest Metro: Pont Neuf (7) or Cite (4).
- Ending Point: The tour ends in front of the Hotel de Ville
Tuesday, Friday and Saturday
Meeting Time: 08:45 PM
Departure Time: 9:00 PM
This half day excursion gives you an opportunity to discover Paris's famous tourist sights and monum...
Walk the footsteps of 2,000-year old history as you explore the heart of Paris, Ile de la Cité. Sitt...
Your trip to Paris is not complete unless you experience dining - the Hard Rock Cafe way. Don’t worr...
Paris is a city with a lot of history and even more attractions so if you want to see the best of it...
Spend a day exploring Paris in a very unusual way. This excursion on foot and river boat will show y...
Come and join us for a day of remembrance. During the day you will discover this part of the Western...